Let’s Talk About Florida – Fisherfolk of Charlotte Harbor
Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Reading: Fisherfolk of Charlotte Harbor by Robert F. Edic
As the twentieth century ends, so do many historic fishing traditions in Charlotte Harbor, Florida. Anthropologist and oral historian Robert Edic sets out to rescue this unique heritage from oblivion. In doing so, he gives us a glimpse of the lives of Gulf coast fisherfolk in the early part of the century. Edic interviewed some of the last traditional fisherfolk of Charlotte Harbor. Most were born before 1918, and their words and images evoke a life in the days before power boats, monofilament nets, and modern sport fishing. Intimately acquainted with the coastal environment, these senior fisherfolk also remind us of the fragile balance between people and the harbor’s habitat. Through their eyes, we see again and again how the fishery resources of the harbor have been altered by the modern world. Fisherfolk of Charlotte Harbor, Florida not only recreates a long-ago era, it sounds an alarm. In Charlotte Harbor, as perhaps in many places, the vanishing of traditional ways heralds more profound and far-reaching changes to our natural world.
Moderator: Bob Agles
Join our online book discussion through Zoom. Zoom links will be emailed to all attendees prior to the discussion. Feel free to begin reading the book for this discussion, but reading is not required.
Free event but registration (see below) is required.
Thank You to Our Sponsor
Enjoyed this Content? Support us by Becoming a Member!
Annual membership benefits from January to December.
10% off all items in our store
Priority notification of events, dates and topic
- Nov 14 Let’s Talk About Florida – Totch: A Life in the Everglades
- Jan 23 Let’s Talk About Florida – Florida Cowboys: Keepers of the Last Frontier
- Feb 13 Let’s Talk About Florida – Land of Sunshine, State of Dreams
- Mar 22 Let’s Talk About Florida – Tourist Season
- Apr 25 Let’s Talk About Florida – Fisherfolk of Charlotte Harbor
- May 16 Let’s Talk About Florida – Coming to Pass: Florida’s Coastal Islands in a Gulf of Change