Let’s Talk About Florida – Florida Cowboys: Keepers of the Last Frontier
Monday, January 23, 2023
Reading: Florida Cowboys: Keepers of the Last Frontier by Carlton Ward
Drive a few miles beyond Disney World, past the gaudy souvenir shops, all-you-can-eat buffets, and chain hotels, and you’ll find the largest producing cattle ranch in the world. Indeed, nearly one-fifth of the state is devoted to the cattle industry, and these working ranches play a vital role in Florida’s economic health.
Yet even as encroaching urban sprawl threatens their way of life, photographer Carlton Ward has been documenting the often unseen world of Florida cowboys. Every day before dawn, they saddle their horses, coil their lariats and whips, and ride out to work the herds. Over 15,000 ranches raise nearly two million head of cattle–the living legacies of the longest history of ranching in North America.
Moderator: Gay Darsie
Join our online book discussion through Zoom. Zoom links will be emailed to all attendees prior to the discussion. Feel free to begin reading the book for this discussion, but reading is not required.
Free event but registration (see below) is required.
Thank You to Our Sponsor
Enjoyed this Content? Support us by Becoming a Member!
Annual membership benefits from January to December.
10% off all items in our store
Priority notification of events, dates and topic
- Nov 14 Let’s Talk About Florida – Totch: A Life in the Everglades
- Jan 23 Let’s Talk About Florida – Florida Cowboys: Keepers of the Last Frontier
- Feb 13 Let’s Talk About Florida – Land of Sunshine, State of Dreams
- Mar 22 Let’s Talk About Florida – Tourist Season
- Apr 25 Let’s Talk About Florida – Fisherfolk of Charlotte Harbor
- May 16 Let’s Talk About Florida – Coming to Pass: Florida’s Coastal Islands in a Gulf of Change