Take a Boat Trip to Captiva Island and Learn Its History
Thursday, December 5, 2019
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Boat leaves the Boca Grande Marina at 10:00 am and will return to the Marina at 3:00 pm.
Climb aboard the Santiva, (named for a historic mailboat) with Captiva Cruises and sail to the island while Education Director Richard Finkel describes the history of the islands of Charlotte Harbor. Lunch will be served at the Captiva Civic Center. Visit the Captiva History Museum for stories about the Calusa, fishermen and homestead families who settled Captiva. Visit the Chapel by the Sea and Cemetery. The cemetery includes the graves of early settlers of Captiva and of Buck Key. Buck Key was the early home of the Ormsby family of which our own Betsy Fugate Joiner is a descendent.
Tickets for members are $125 all-inclusive and are non-refundable (must be logged in to be able to purchase).
(Tickets for non-members are $150 beginning October 7, 2019.)
- Feb 26 History Bytes: “25 Years of the Historical Society”
- Mar 3 Lecture: “From Silver Spoon to Garden Spade”
- Mar 16 Boca and Me
- Mar 31 CANCELLED Lecture: “George Pullman – His Railroad Empire and its Impact on Florida and Boca Grande”
- Apr 2 25th Anniversary Celebration and Annual Meeting
- Jun 5 Kids Tarpon Tournament